Another wonderful Tuesday is upon us and the fine folks from the Broke and the Bookish have yet another fun Top Ten Tuesday: 10 Books We Think Make Great Beach Reads. I think when people think of books to read at the beach they associate them being light, quick and easy reads with nothing too heavy both in subject matter and just the weight of the book (because we are already hauling a million other things to the beach with us). But we think every and any book can be a beach read if you truly believe. So this might just end up being a list of books we want to read this summer whether that’s on the beach, on the bus , on our beds, or beside our friends as we ignore them to finish those last few chapters.
1. The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion. This seems like a typical “summer read” with a cute story line about a socially challenged genetics teacher who takes a scientific analytical approach to find out if he is capable of true love. A self proclaimed feel good happy story this is a great candidate for a summer read that is sure to be enjoyable yet not consume your entire summer.
2. Invasion of the Tearling by Erika Johansen. Book two of the epically amazing Queen of the Tearling series comes out this summer and I am dying to read it. This is the book I will take with me everywhere until I have finished it. I’m taking it to the beach, out to dinner and even in class because my love for this knows no bounds.
3. Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins. A cute contemporary romance from an amazing author. You can’t go wrong with Stephanie Perkins. Plus the cover is so beautiful and reminds me of a beautiful summers day perfect for the beach.
4. Harry Potter Series by J. K. Rowling. This is one of my favorite series to re-read and summer is the perfect time to do it because (usually) we have more time to relax by the water and read to our hearts content. Although I would recommend maybe getting the ebook version just for convenience because THEY CAN GET HEAVY and I can barely manage to cary a towel and keep my sunglasses on my face at the best of times.
5. California by Edan Lepucki. Recommended to me this looks to be an awesome read that I will definitely be sinking my teeth into this summer because I have a weakness for post-apocalyptic fiction. Also California is hot, they have beaches….yay trying to stay within the theme.
6. Royal Wedding by Meg Cabot. IT’S FINALLY HERE. I’ve been slowly rereading this amazing series from my teenhood and can’t wait to read about Mia and Michael’s wedding! (And I received an ARC from HarperCollins Canada – THANK YOU!)
7. The Wrath & The Dawn by Renee Ahdieh. A recent debut from earlier this May and set in a beautiful Aladdin-esque world, the sun’s rays will help me picture myself in Sharzhad’s dainty gold slippers all the more so. AND THE COVER IS BEAUTIFUL!
8. Since You’ve Been Gone by Morgan Matson. A fun summer story of a girl left with an incredible to-do list. That to-do list echoes of every past summer I’ve had and I can’t wait to read this one!
9. Miss Mayhem by Rachel Hawkins. The sequel to the amazing Rebel Belle, this is such a summer read because of the setting, the pageant aspect and Harper Price in general. Nothing says summer like an evil Paladin taking over your life and basically blackmailing you into doing his every command.
10. The Girl in the Spider’s Web by Stieg Larsson and David Lagercrantz. I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS FOURQUEL FOR FOREVER. SERIOUSLY. Please read up on the epic battle for the rights to the outlines of the rest of this series and then read it because O M G. Can’t wait to catch up on Lisbeth’s life and discover what other mischief she’s gotten herself into.